Contempt for the Flesh
An introduction to the slang and jargon common to the habitats and souks of mars.
- Artificials: Catch-all term for artificial life that has a physical body, from self-replicating nanoswarms up to robots. Generally only used to describe artificial life with animal-level intelligence or lower.
- Basic: Contracted form of basically or simply.
- Black Kettles: Criminal morph storage or production facilities.
- Technical: Crazy or haywire. “Technical” was corp psych services shorthand for technical somatically-induced stress disorder, a condition similar to posttraumatic stress disorder that was extremely common among early infomorph laborers sleeved in cheap synthmorphs. It still occurs, though less frequently, in newer models.
- Wild Artificials: Artificial life gone feral, either through poor programming or abandonment by its creator. Wild artificials often evolve in unexpected ways and may be dangerous to transhumans